Question
Posted by: Pre-emptive strike | 2011/04/01

Top Up Insurance

My mom, aunt and sister have all had breast cancer. I haven’ t done any tests to prove this, but I suspect I’ m high risk. Should I get it, I want to be in a position to throw everything I can at it, to beat it. I’ m on a medical aid, but I have two questions: <br><br>(1) Is there a “ top-up”  insurance I can get so I will have extra money if I need chemo? And <br><br>(2) Will my family history prejudice me, i.e. will I be looking at huge premiums?

Expert ImageMoney Expert

You should look to take out some dread disease cover(also known as severe illness) through an insurance company. It is unlikely that your family history will prejudice you but let the underwriters decide that - make sure you disclose everything when you apply (you dont have to accept the cover if it is not what you want) and also make sure that it will cover you for breast cancer. You could also look at "gap cover" but this only pays the difference between what your med aid pays and the actual hospital bills - not sure if it will cover for chemo but ask the insurance broker to check on this.

1
Posted by: Money Expert | 2011/04/12

Reply to Money Expert