Question
Posted by: Penelopie | 2010/02/01

Top Secret Fat Loss Secret

I need to know if this really works. The programme request that you go onto the following site to find out your Metabolic Profile Self Test by Bill Wolcott. My results indicated my metabolic type as being protein (45%-50% Protein (Proteins = Meat, Fowl, Seafood, Dairy) - 30%-35% Carbohydrates (Carbohydrates = Fruits, Vegetables, Grains) - 20% Oils/Natural Fats (Fats = Butter, Oils, Fatty Foods - ex. nuts, seeds, cheese, other fatty foods). A detox also needs to be done before starting programme

Dear Penelopie
This is just another version of the Atkins diet. I am sure that most people who land up on the Metabolic Profile Self Test by Bill Wolcott will turn out to have a high protein, low carb profile. The reason why I and my dietetic colleagues have a problem with high-protein diets is that such diets automatically will expose you to high levels of fat, saturated fat and cholesterol because all animal protein foods such as meat, eggs and poultry contain animal fats which in turn contain these 'bad' fats which in turn can exacerbate high blood cholesterol and lipid levels predisposing to heart disease and certain cancers. A high protein intake may also have a negative effect on kidney function and leach calcium out of the body. There is also not yet sufficient evidence that shows that these high-protein diets sustain weight loss in the long-term, which is after all the purpose of trying to lose weight. Then there is also the problem of a lack of protective nutrients (bioflavonoids, phytochemicals, etc which are mainly found in plant foods) and dietary fibre, so that using a high-protein diet for long periods can cause certain deficiencies and constipation. So, if it works for you and you don't use it for longer than about 2 weeks at a time, then that is fine. but please be aware of the potential dangers of such diets. You should still be getting at least 1-2 portions of carbohydrates with a low glycaemic index (GI) at each meal to supply you with fibre and readily available energy. Detox diets are risky at the best of times and esp if you suffer with heart problems. Last year the media splashed the news that detox diets were harmful and even deadly over all the newspapers and magazines. This was based on the reports of deaths caused by electrolyte imbalances that patients had suffered during detoxing. Click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and search for the article "DETOX DIETS - DO THEY WORK OR ARE THEY HARMFUL?" which I wrote to warn Readers against these practices.
I would rather recommend that you use a balanced diet with a moderate protein, a low fat content and low-GI (glycaemic index) carbs to lose weight.

1

Dear Penelopie