Question
Posted by: Brad | 2009-09-27

top of foot - shin

Good day sir.

I am 27 years of age and fairly healthy. During my younger years I partook in swimming, nippers, waterpolo and biathlon competitions. Ever since leaving school I have tried to run but shin splints alwys gets the better of me. I play squash every now and then but my shins whilst playing do not hurt. Only when I run for about 5 minutes do my shins start paining.

I am wanting to partake in the triathlons (small ones and slowly work my way up.), should I just '  continue to start running and maybe, just maybe my shins will get stronger to a point when they no longer hurt. Depending on your advise, I will see a specialist as I am eager to run again as I was extremely good at long distance running in school.

Thanks.

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Brad

With a history of recurring shin splints it is best to have a biomechanical assessment of the lower limb. Shin splints are often caused by over pronation or arch collapse. I suggest you see a podiatrist with an interest in running injuries. He or she should be able to give you advice on the correct shoes and possibly a corrective insole.

Chris