Question
Posted by: Marie | 2009/06/22

Toot decay

Which is better: to extract a tooth or root canal? The tooth is at the back on top. I am 46 years old.

Dear Marie
Personally I think one should try to retain a tooth as long as possible - as soon as you extract a tooth you get bone degeneration in the area. When a tooth is removed its neighboring teeth will tend to shift and this can lead to chewing problems or with jaw joint function. Teeth whose alignment has changed can become traps for food and be harder to clean thoroughly, thus placing them at greater risk for tooth decay and gum disease. If you have the tooth extracted it is always best to have it replaced by a bridge or tooth implant if possible.