Posted by: bph21 | 2009-04-07

Took BPH Test - Score high

I am a 48 year old RSA male. On the American Urological Association Symptom Index I score a 23. They say a score of 20 to 35 indicates severe BPH.
I often stop and start again when urinating and the flow is weak. I have to sit so that I can push and shake it again and again to get it all out or it leaks out afterwards. I get up two or three times a night to urinate.
I tried taking saw palmetto for a few years, but it only helped a bit. I see that most medications for BPH cause dizziness and I work up ladders and in ceilings so that is out. I do not want to see a urologist. I never go to the doctor.

Dear bph21
There are various medications you can use for BPH, not all of them will cause dizziness ( Proscar for example won't) There are 2 reasons why you may have to see a doctor - the medications are only available on prescription, and secondly, you need a physical examination and a screening blood test to exclude prostate cancer. I know most men dread going for a prostate examination as it is uncomfortable and embarrassing but it is very important and only takes 2-3 minutes. Prostate cancer is one of the most common cancers in men in South Africa and if caught early, you can remove it 100% and it is one of the few cancers that can be healed.

Natural treatments include:
Saw palmetto (Serenoa repens) – Recommended dosage is 320 mg of extract daily.
Pygeum (Pygeum africanum) – Recommended dosage is 100-200 mg of extract 2 times daily.
Stinging nettles (Urtica dioica) – Recommended dosage is 120 mg daily.
These are all symptomatic treatments and won't shrink the prostate or treat cancer