Question
Posted by: Bestina | 2010/11/04

Too young to be aging rapidly!!

I am 26 year old female and I lost about 15 kg 4 years ago. I however look older now even when I pick up a bit of weight. I also had been on 3 years of chronic corticosteroids during that time. Another thing is I have eczema of the scalp and at its worst, it triggers asthma. What I''d like to find out from you is whether I can reverse this facial sagging and also remedy my allergies with a particular diet? Also, I have just about 8 kg to loose for a healthy weight (will be loosing it steadily) but wondering how to achieve that without aging rapidly.

Kind regards,
Bestina

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Bestina, thank you for the question.

Your best option would be to consult a natural homeopath and a dietician to work out an effective ‘anti’ allergy/irritant diet.

Cortisone and other steroids definitely impact on the skin and typically one can see thinning, increased vascularity, and a reduction of collagen and elastin fibers in the skin with long term use. I do not believe however that the use of the steroids over 3 years is enough to cause irreversible changes to the skin. One may have to consider topicals that contain alphahydroxy and polyhydroxy acids, vitamin C and A (such as the NeoStrata range, Environ, Nimue, etc.), glycolic acid peels, photofacial (skin rejuvenation technology) or even fractional skin resurfacing (Matrix RF, Fraxel, Starlux, etc.).

We rely on the fat within our face to support the skin and provide the face with its shape and definition (volume) and typically with volume loss in the face the treatment choice is fillers (one’s own fat, Juvederm, Restylane, etc.).

Your best option would be to consult an aesthetic medical practitioner or a cosmetic dermatologist who can examine the skin and even perform a VISIA skin analysis to decide on the best treatment options.

1
Posted by: anti-ageing expert | 2010/11/10

Hi Bestina, thank you for the question.

Reply to anti-ageing expert