Posted by: Shy | 2009-03-28

Too Shy

Hi Dr.

I am a single 29 year old male. All of my friends are married/in relationships and I am the only single person. I have been single my whole life. Problem is that I am a very shy person, and I don' t get to g out and meet people. My friends don' t really go out that often anymore, plus they live in PTA, I am in JHB (due to work). When I do pluck up the courage to go out, I stop myself the moment i get to the place, too scared to go inside. I usually spend weekends alone at home, unless I visit my friends, which sucks in a way because I am always the odd one out.

What can I do that can help me to go out and meet people, and start enjoying my life and having fun? I also want someone special to share my life with.

As you know, hurting yourself is no solution to anything, and even if it brings you some minor relief, that doesn't last long. Some of us are more shy than others, and even a few bad experiences may make us feel too scared to try to reach out to others. Some of us are shyer than that, and have a Social Anxiety Disorder. Fortunately, both varieties can be successfully treated by CBT ( Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ) and perhaps some medications. Such treatment of course doesn't find you someone special, but fully enables you to look and find someone for yourself

Posted by: bosterious | 2009-03-29

You need to build up your self confidence, investigate ways of doing this.

Reply to bosterious
Posted by: Shy | 2009-03-28

Sorry, i forgot to add that when I decide to go out, and then change my mind at the last moment, when I get home home, I get angry with myself, I sometimes I hurt myself because I am so cross.

Reply to Shy