Question
Posted by: aak | 2009-02-09

Too Often Yawing

Hello Doctor,
I am 31yrs old male, i yawn through out the day very often, what could be the cause of this, i take sound sleep for 7 to 8 hours every day, i never did exercise in my life, I am a software programmer and i sit for long hours in office as my job requires this.
please suggest me why do i often yawn through out the day even after full and sound sleep.
waiting for your precious &  valuable suggestion.

HI there

Yawning is associated with tiredness, stress, overwork, lack of stimulation, or boredom. So perhaps your 7 hours of sleep are not of the quality that are helping you through the day. Or it's lack of stimulation. I honestly don't know. Yawning is a reflex that's really difficult to pin down, and not especially well understood.

It was once claimed that it was the result of not having enough oxygen, but that's never been proven. The latest theory is that it helps control the temperature of the brain, though that is not something I can vouch for.

So sorry I can't be more helpful, but it's honestly a difficult one to explain.