Question
Posted by: jeane | 2008/07/16

too much sun when younger

I'm turning 34 this year, and have been in the sun WAY to much when I was younger, what is the best thing I can do now to 'save' my skin which already looks lik a 54 year old woman skin! Especially my neck area!

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Jeane, thank you for the question.

Your best approach would be to consult a dermatologist, aesthetic practitioner, or a plastic surgeon with a special interest in the treatment of the skin, as they can examine the areas of concern and prescribe the best option for you.

You have a number of options to treat the sun damaged skin and to maintain these results. I will list the options as follows:

A good topical regime: alpha hydroxy acids, polyhydroxy acids, anti-oxidants, vitamin A or retinal acetate, and a good SPF that contains zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide.

Glycolic acid peels (my preference is NeoStrata)

Skin Rejuvenation: Syneron emax or elight, Laser (Fraxel, Ultrapulse Encore, Pixel, etc), or IPL (Ellipse)

Skin Tightening (Neck area): Syneron emax or elight Refirme, Thermage, Titan

I hope the above helps and further information on all of these treatments, ingredients, results, and side effects, may be found on my web page: www.aestheticfacialenhancement.co.za – a good article to read (paste the title into the search function) is: Comparing 4 Different Topical Skin Rejuvenation Regimens & Treating Ageing Skin in the Elderly: Pharmaceutical Products and Procedures for the Elderly - as they give an excellent overview of different treatment options and guides one to further searches (please do not get me wrong I am not stating that you are “Elderly”!).