Question
Posted by: Anonn | 2009/11/17

Too much sugar from fruit?

Hello. I was reading somewhere that it is excess sugars, that, when not burned up in activity can lead to a build up in fat. Therefore my question is, can a person eat too much fruit? I eat about 2 bananas and a few apples per day.

Dear Too much sugar
Overeating any food, even healthy ones can cause weight gain if their ingestion causes your total energy intake for the day to exceed the energy you use up per day. I don't however think that by eating 2 bananas and 2 apples a day you will suddenly push your energy intake to extremes. The general recommendation is that we should have 5-A-Day of vegetables and fruit, so having 4 portions of fruit a day is fine. Just make sure that your total energy intake is not higher than your energy output.

3
Posted by: X.x | 2009/11/19

hey there,iam also a big fruit and veggie fan but sometimes it feels like my body screams for normall food and also i notice that apples causing bloating and it makes me feel very uncomfortable thats why i decided to cut down on apples and trying now eat more carrots instead

have a fab day
X.x

Reply to X.x
Posted by: foodie | 2009/11/17

Interesting question Anon.. I too eat two apples around 10:30 when I get hungry and then again as snacks during the afternoon and as dinner with yoghurt. I try to nibble on fruit instead of sweets &  biscuits and it really helps a lot. It keeps me fuller for longer &  I don' t feel as quilty. I too have wondered if 5-8 portions of fruit can be lead to weight gain?? Thanks dietdoc for all the helpful info. I read your posts religiously!

Reply to foodie

Dear Too much sugar