Question
Posted by: Jerry | 2010/03/07

Too much roughage?

For several months now I have eaten two talblespoons of oats bran mixed with yogurt or soy milk. I hve also eaten raw vegetables such as broccoli and cabbage. For the past few weeks I have developed loose stools and even diarrhoea.Am I overdoing the roughage?
Thank you for your invaluable service.

Dear Jerry
Yes one can overdo roughage intake. The generally recommended intake is 20 g per day from your total dietary intake (i.e. cereals, bread, grains, fruits, vegetables, legumes). If you find that you are developing diarrhoea then you need to reduce your fibre intake (for example only have 1 tablespoon of the oat bran) and eat only one raw vegetable a day (cook the rest because you still need th other beneficial nutrients from 5 portions of fruit or veg a day). If you find that your diarrhoea stops after a day or so, then you know that you fibre intake was too high. If by chance the diarrhoea should continue, then you need to see a medical dr so that he/she can check if you don't perhaps have an infection which requires medical treatment.

1

Dear Jerry