Question
Posted by: Mia | 2009/11/30

Too much butterfish?

Hi, I' m experiencing something quite embarrassing at the moment... and I was wondering if this is caused by the butterfish that I ate this weekend. I' ve had quite a runny stomach for 2 days now, but the weird thing is, that ' it' s'  oily and dark orange... Is this normal, and when will it get better?

Hallo Mia
Ok now I have also learnt something ! - this is what I found:
"Butterfish or Escolar cannot metabolize the wax esters (Gempylotoxin) naturally found in its diet. These waxy oils accumulate to give an oil content in the muscle meat of 18–21%. These wax esters may rapidly cause gastrointestinal symptoms following consumption; however, these effects are usually short lived.

The gastrointestinal symptoms, called "keriorrhea", caused by these wax esters may include oily orange diarrhea, discharge, or leakage from the rectum that may smell of mineral oil. The discharge can stain clothing and occur without warning 30 minutes to 36 hours after consuming the fish. The oil may pool in the rectum and cause frequent urges for bowel movements due to its lubricant qualities and may be accidentally discharged by the passing of gas. Symptoms may occur over a period of one or more days. Other symptoms may include stomach cramps, loose bowel movements, diarrhea, headaches, nausea, and vomiting.

To minimize the risk of symptoms, strict control of portion size is recommended as well as preparation methods that remove some of the oil. Grilling will greatly reduce the heavy fat content in the fish making it edible without ill side-effects. Portions should be no greater than 6 ounces (170 grams)."

3
Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/11/09

How long does this last? The restaurant I ate at described the dish as "grilled white tuna" is that illegal? Should I contact Consumer Affairs? Thank you

Posted by: Mia | 2009/12/02

Thanks Doc :)

Reply to Mia
Posted by: cyberdoc | 2009/11/30

Hallo Mia

Reply to cyberdoc