Question
Posted by: Maxi | 2008/08/25

Too many eggs to do AI

HI
I had a scan today, D11 after taking fertomed for 5 days and injecting with Gonal-F for 4 days (75ml every 2nd day). The scan showed I have too many eggs (at least 7 almost ready) so we could not do the planned AI. Dr was very suprised that I reacted so well (first time). Dr suggested drawing blood every second day to see if oestrogen levels decrease, then scan again in 4 days to see how many eggs - perhaps we can still do AI then.

I am excited about the possibility - I did not realise that we can wait for some of the eggs to develop and then do AI when there are less follicles?

Dear Maxi

The doctor is concerned if there are too many eggs and if an injection is given to help you ovulate then you may have a problem of ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome. It is possible to then wait and see if some of the follicles regress and you are then left with fewer eggs and a lower risk of hyperstimulation. However the risk of waiting for some of the eggs to regress would mean that there may be a chance that too many regress and there may not be any left for the AI procedure to be done. However you may also spontaneously ovulate as well.

Answered by: Dr. Y. Dasoo