Question
Posted by: cally | 2009-01-28

too many dreams?

Hi, just a quick query.
I' m curious as to how many dreams an average person has per night. I have, on average, 5 or 6 vivid &  active dreams every night (that I remember). I' m also always tired, so is it possible that I' m not getting proper rest because of this?

Very variable, and influenced by many factors, including diet, other sleep variations such as prior sleep deprivation. What may be more relevant is that if we estimate dream frequency by EEG or some such more objective measure, everyone dreams more often than they think they do. It tends to be only dreams which wake us, or which occur just before we wake ( if we are sleeping restlessly, we will wake more often, and recall more of the dreams we are having, anyway ). One needs several types of sleep, including dreaming sleep.

2
Posted by: cally | 2009-01-28

Thanks guys...
I keep a dream diary too (should publish!), and I try to do a little dream analysis myself, often coming up with some very interesting interpretations!

Reply to cally
Posted by: Kelly | 2009-01-28

I was listening to the radio last week and it was mentioned that the average number of dreams people have per night is 9.The thing is that most people just dont remember it, others do and others will remeber maybe 1 or 2 that they had.
Your dreams can also vary from a few seconds to mins and 30 mins but yes the number of dreams per night is 9.

If you want to have your dreams analysed let me know because there is a program on that u can call in and have that done.

Reply to Kelly