Posted by: Neiras | 2010-07-05

Tonsils and fever blisters

I have been diagnosed with Tonsilitis a week ago. Finished anibiotics but discovered that there are fever blisters/coldsores on my tongue. It feels like that''s what''s creating the still sore throught as it feels like there are fever blisters right back on my tongue.
The pain is so uncomfortable that it feels like it shoot right up in my ear.
Is it possible for feverblisters to create such discomfort and that it might even lead to tonsilitis. and what can I do about it.
Thanks for your reply.

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Neiras

You may be suffering from Candidia of the oral cavity as a result of the illness and the antibiotic treatment. The other possibilities include ulcers of the mouth due to the illness, and general poor status of your health at present. Other possibilities indeed include herpes stomatitis (cold sores/ fever blisters). It is important that you see an ENT or your GP, as a clinical assesment must be made in order to prescribe the appropriate management. It is different for every condition, but will respond to the correct management.

It is possible for these conditions to cause severe discomfort and pain, but it will not lead to tonsillitis. This has been caused by the conditions surrounding the tonsillitis, and should clear if diagnosed and treated correctly.

Posted by: shaam | 2010-08-06

I have been experiencing ''sores'' in my nose . my throat feels swollen do you think its tonsilitus?

Reply to shaam