Posted by: Shelby | 2010-10-25

Hi there,

My one year old son is coughing a lot and has a runny nose. I am treating it with Mucospect syrup 2.5ml three times daily and Chamilfor nose spray.

His tonsils look swollen to me, but he has no fever. Is there a throat spray I can use? Or something to take away the inflammation?

Thank you for your time.

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Shelby

The tonsils become swollen and inflammed in response to the general upper respiratory tract problem. They tend to enlarge as they are performing the mayor function of protecting the upper airway. As such the enlargement is not problematic. The underlying cause should be identified and dealt with, so I suggest you see your peadiatrician/GP if he does not get better. If he does not appear ill, it is possible that he is suffering from allergies. This could explain the runny nose, as some of the nasal discharge could be running into the back of his throat, causing the cough.

It would be best to have him examined by a doctor before one decides on what he could use.