Posted by: Tash | 2009-10-13

Hi Doctor
My daughter is now 4 and have always (according to every doc and even an ENT) had abnormally large tonsils.
She snores a bit at night and I have now noticed her breath is very smelly and recently she had a tonsil stone too.
She had never really had tonsillitis though.
Would you recommend just having the tonsils removed?
If not what can I do about her breath and the recurrence of " tonsil stones" 
Thanks you!

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Tash

Large tonsils that cause snoring is abnormal and is indeed a reason to remove the tonsils. Recurrent tonsillitis is not the only reason to have a tonsillectomy. The bad breath and tonsil stones is an indication of chronic tonsillitis and this also warrants removal. I suggest you discuss this with your ENT surgeon.