Question
Posted by: Andy | 2008/07/21

Tonsillitis medication during pregnancy

I' m 8weeks pregnant with my first child. Over the weekend i started have a terrible pain in my throat and i went to see a doctor on Sunday. He diagnosed tonsillitis.

He prescribed some pain killers (Panado capsules, Reuteri chewable tablets) and an antibiotic(Amoclan bid tablets). He wanted to prescribe a throat spray for pain alleviation but he changed his mind after consulting what i assumed was a medical dictionary. After which, my trust levels went down. Please excuse me, this is my first child.

I have gone through the leaflet of the antibiotic and it says safety in pregnancy has not been established. I am quite doubtful about starting this treatment. At the moment, i' m only taking the Panado and the chewable pain killer (with my folic acid and pregnancy multivitamin).

I am having tremendous difficulty swallowing. As a result, I am having minimal food. Which is the worse of the two evils for my baby? Not taking the antibiotic or sacrificing nutrition whilst waiting for my body to rid itself of the tonsillitis?

Any advice will be tremendously welcomed.

Your doctor has acted responsibly. There are literally millions of drugs and no doctor knows the effects of all of them in pregnancy, so it was a good idea for him to check. Amoclan is commonly used in pregnancy and is regarded as safe.

5
Posted by: amy | 2015/09/10

Subscribed calvepen 666 9wks pregnant, ive to take 4 a day is it safe.

Reply to amy
Posted by: Anonymous | 2014/07/20

I would also say that the medical dictionary is updated and changed every month sobguidelines can change if new research is available, you can expect him to memorise it every month :-) x

Posted by: Jenny | 2014/07/02

I am six weeks pregnant and have painful tonsillitis so i went to the DR and she gave me betapen tablets i don't know if its save to take them or not please help with an advice.

Reply to Jenny
Posted by: Andy | 2008/07/21

Thanks Patty! This helps with my peace of mind!

Reply to Andy
Posted by: patty | 2008/07/21

4yrs ago i also had tonsils the Dr gave antibio..as well as other stuff to take, i finish them all in btw 2-3weks then back to the Dr for checkup thats when he discovered that i was 6weeks preggies and had no problems everything ok, so GOOD LUCK!!! on whatever you decide to do and those tonsils are very sore
congrats and take care!!

Reply to patty