Question
Posted by: Ziggy | 2009-12-04

Tonsilitis and Grommets

Hi, my daughter of 4 has had Tonsilitis (or very close to) at least 3 times this year. Is it advisable to have her tonsils removed? Also my 1 year old has had ear infections about 4 or 5 times this year. Would it be advisable to have grommets put in her ears? They are both at a very good nursery school so pick up these things from other kiddies I suppose. Please advise? Thank you

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Ziggy

Tonsils may be removed in cases of recurrent tonsillitis. It seems that your daughter might be a candidate for a tonsillectomy, but she needs to be examined by an ENT surgeon. In the case your one year old, we recommend grommets after three infections in four months, or four infections in six months. It is important what happens to the ears inbetween attacks, as persistant effusions will also be an indication for grommets. She will need an ENT assesment as well.