Question
Posted by: Angie | 2009-01-28

Tonsilitis - Adult

HI Doc,

I' m a 27 year old female, and I' ve had tonsilitis every year since I was a child. When I was younger, the dr said that if I have tonsilitis 3 times in a year, I should I have them removed, but I always only have tonsilitis twice a year. This usually happens around Arpil and September (every year).

My last bout of tonsilities was October 2008, and now I have tonsilitis again.

Should I, or should / could I suggest to my dr. that I would like to have my tonsils removed? Even if I don' t have tonsilitis 3 times a year?

Dear Angie
Tonsils are part of your immunity system so if you can retain it, it is better. It may also be a difficult procedure at 27 years of age and they may not get all the tonsil tissue out due to scar tissue from previous infections. (then you get tonsillitis anyway!) Try this first: Get yourself some Tonsilla or Tonsilyte homeopathic medication at the pharmacy - you can take this daily to act as prevention and if you get a sore throat, take Tonsilla every hour or two for a day or so, it often prevents development of full blown tonsillitis.