Question
Posted by: Dani | 2009-01-16

Tonsilitis - Adult

Good day

My hubby (32) has just recovered from severe tonsilitis - something that he' s been suffering from, for most of his life on and off. The ENT specialist has advised that he have them removed - his surgery is in two weeks'  time.
We both aware that it will be extremely painful (ENT advised), and my hubby didnt bother to ask some relevant questions regarding the surgery, recovery, etc.
Are you able to please tell me what we can expect in terms of his recovery (From the ENT, we know that it takes 10 days to recover, but what else can we expect in terms of how uncomfortable he' ll be, etc).
Also, how long is the procedure and will he be hospitalised afterwards?
The other thing that worries me, is that late last year, my hubby had a tooth extracted. The bleeding only stopped around midday, the following day - does this mean he' s a ' bleeder' ? If so, how will this complication affect the surgery?

Thanks so much!

Warm regards
Dani

Dear Dani

Thank you for visiting health24.com.

Recovery is dependant on the person's state of health etc. It can be 10 days more or less, as you were advised by your ENT specialist. It is in fact very painful and he will have difficulty in swallowing. He will have to take in a lot of fluid, eat soft meals and take edaquate pain relief.

If there are any complications, he will be hospitalised. To assess if he is a bleeder, there are some blood tests that can be done, to confirm this.

Kind regards