Posted by: Mum Marl | 2010-06-14

Good morning,
I am unsure what action I should follow, so your advise would be appreciated.
My daughter is 13 years old and has had tonsilitis in the past which was controlled with the use of antibiotics. She has had a few bouts of tonsilitis starting from mid March this year and each time has been on a course of antibiotics (Augmentin for 5 days). Each time she has completed the course the sore throat re-appears. Could this be her sinus/post nasal drip causing the sore throat or should be consider having her tonsils removed?

Kind regards

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Mum Marl

Your daughter is suffering from recurrent bouts of tonsillitis, now possibly caused by chronic infection in the tonsil itself. At her age, the tonsils have no function at all, and she is now moving into the agegroup of patients that may suffer from complicated tonsillitis, the most common being a peri-tonsillar abcess. (Quincy abcess). This has the potential to case mayor problems, such as a neck abcess, etc.
At her age the bouts usually become more severe, and I would suggest you consult an ENT surgeon for an examination and consultation. The post nasal drip is not helping, although that is not necessarily the cause. I would most likely recommend a tonsillectomy, but you should consult your ENT for an opinion.

Posted by: sam/sam | 2010-06-28

I had the same problem my darling the bests would be to remove them via a small operation. never had a problem since. had it bad during the winter months.......

Reply to sam/sam