Question
Posted by: Speech | 2010-02-26

Tonsilitis

Doctor I have sever tonsilitis so much so that when they are swollen and even when they arent they are visible from the outside. I want to have them removed but my medical aid has me on that year waiting period. I am in Durban and willing to do the public sector route just so I can alleviate my problem. I was willing to pay cash but the procedure is way above what I consider affordable as at one instance I got a quotation for K12500. As I am in an open plan office I have often heard complaints with regards to my breathing.

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Speech

It sounds like you do indeed need a tonsillectomy. The only way would be to convince your medical aid to authorise the procedure, a letter from your doctor may help. Your case may warrant special consideration as it may be affecting your breathing. This could create longterm cardiac problems, and should be considered in your application for earlier surgery. If your application is not granted, your aid should give you a very good reason why they expect you to wait.
The unfortunate truth is that the State Sector can hardly cope with the burden of cases, so I will be very surprised if they could accomodate you at all before the medical aid will. Apart from that, your bill at the state sector will be close to, or even more than in private, as the state sector tend to charge medical aid patients more.
In the interim, your doctor should try to treat your condition while you wait.