Posted by: k | 2010-11-16

tonsil stones

hi, i have been suffering from sore thraots for the past 2+ years and the last time my ent looked when my throat was sore and said it is from tonsilliths. he advised me to have my tonsils taken out and said this is the only way to get rid of it for good. he also advised against laser as it may not solve the problem. what is your opinion?

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear K

It sounds as if you may benefit from a tonsillectomy. The technique that is most suited relies on what the surgeon is most comfortable with. Laser removal is effective, but so are all the other tecniques. It is a case of what method your surgeon prefers. Laser has not been proven to be better than the more conservative techniques, but is also a very effective way of removing the tonsils.