Question
Posted by: CS | 2010-09-14

Tonsil stones

Dear Doc

I coughed up two little stones (it has happened to me before, but I never researched it etc). I Googled it and believe it to be tonsil stones (a build of bacteria, mucus, food etc). Does this mean my tonsils have to be removed? I suffer from bad breath and have realized this might be the cause?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear CS

You are correct, and as this is an ongoing problem, the only solution is a tonsillectomy. Halitosis (bad breath) is defenitely caused by this, and the only treatment is a tonsillectomy. See an ENT regarding an examination and opinion regarding surgery.