Question
Posted by: Katie Williams | 2010-07-16

Toning unwanted upper stomach flab

Hi there.

So I have a ''''problem''''. My stomach is pretty flat, I have good core muscles and I can only pinch a small amount of flab around my lower abdominals. However, my upper abdominals (the area between my naval and under my boobs) is not of the same description. In fact that is where my rolls, as it were, come from. I am very active doing 5 hours of dancing a week, an hour of horseriding, an hour of trapeze flying, core and strength training every alternate day and I walk pretty much everywhere. I eat very healthily but I still can''t seem to tone/get rid of it. Do you have any suggestions of what I can do?

Katie (17 years old)

HI Katie

This is very common, and unfortunately there is no easy fix. We all have one or two problem areas, some worse than others. You're already super active, fit and at optimal body weight, and so there's not a lot to change to suddenly get rid of it.

The only thing to recommend is to tighten up on diet, which doesn't mean eating less, it means eating smarter. And so you might consider seeing a dietician about it - never a bad idea anyway, because you'd be laying the foundation for healthy eating when you leave home too.

But that's the one area. The situps, the abdominal work and so on is great, but you can't spot reduce and target like that, so the more important is the cardio type work you do - you might try to squeeze in one or two sessions of maybe running, cycling, swimming, but I know that's tough when time is tight.

Ross

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010-07-27

HI Katie

Ross

Reply to fitnessdoc