Question
Posted by: Mary | 2010/03/11

Toning of quads

Hi doc, I am 34 years of age, weiging 65 kg,s and measures 1.74cm. My problem is my upper legs, they are huge. The rest of my body is fine. I am cycling (mountain biking) and ocationally do lunges. It also seems as if cellulite is taking over in my legs. I try to drink 2-3 litres of water each day and eat healthy. Why is it like this, can you let me know what kind of exercise will be best to reduce the size of my upper legs and to town them - a lot! Thx doc!

Hi Mary

No easy solutions, unfortunately. Everyone struggles with one area specifically, in your case the legs. The answer is that your cellulite problem is just the accumulation of fat in that area, which is mostly directed by our genes. THe solution is to burn fat which requires cardio training. The lunges are good, they help tone the muscle, but if the problem is fat storage, then you need to burn the fat, and that means regular cardio training. I'm not sure how often you're doing the cycling, but you should be aiming for 4 or 5 days a week, maybe an hour a day. It's a very stubborn, difficult problem to overcome, because this is the last place you'll lose weight if you happen to store it there. So give it time, lots of effort and it'll happen. but cardio is the solution, not more leg exercise.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010/03/17

Hi Mary

Reply to fitnessdoc