Question
Posted by: Sebe | 2010/10/13

toning my back

Hi Doc,

I train at home with no equipment. I jog for about 30 mins and do strength exercise for 15 minutes (as a start) I do 2 sets each of push-ups (10 reps), crunches (16 reps) and squats (16 reps). Is there a workout I can do to tone my back that doesn''t require machiney that I can add to these? If yes, how many reps and sets should I do?

Thank you.

Hi Sebe

It's very difficult without some equipment at least. IF you had even basic dumbells or a barbell, you could start doing upright rows and bench pulls and so on and really target the back. The movements that will target the back are pulling motions and that's mighty difficult when you have no equipment - it's not like pushups or squats which are effectively "pushing movements".

So I hate to say it, but you might want to look at buying one or two items. Failing this, throwing exercises, with heavy balls like medicine balls will help. You literally throw it straight up, let it fall to the floor. And repeat 10 times.

Pull ups helps a little, though the main focus is not the lower back, but if you had a bar or even an improvised bar, you might try those.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010/10/18

Hi Sebe

Reply to fitnessdoc