Question
Posted by: Kasandra | 2009-04-18

Toning / Building Muscle

Hi There, thank you for all your great advise. I am happy with my BMI at the moment but feel that I am skinny but have very little muscle tone in my upper body and bum. At the moment I train monday, wednesday, friday 5 minutes cardio warm up the rest circuit training and resistant training in between with 3kg dumbells. The other two days I do cardio.... Is this correct will I tone and build some muslce with this routine... I am with curves and the circuit / weights are for toning.

I also feel my post work out meal is lacking. I have no appetite after gym in the mornings and usually only eat 2 crackers with peanut butter or slice of toast...Then by 11:00 I am starving. Do you think taking a scoop of whey with water straight after gym will help with recovery.

Thank you.

My aim is not to lose more weight but to tone and build some muscle (NOT BIG just firm)

Expert ImageSports Nutrition

Hi Kasandra

The advice is only a pleasure!

Your training regime sounds fine to me; however I will certainly increase the weight of the weight – depending on the type of exercise you can easily increase your weight to around 6 kg and certainly up to 10 kg without looking like Mrs Muscle. Building more muscle will also render you more metabolic active which will help you burn more calories and fat at a higher rate which will ultimately tone you more and drop your body fat – you might slightly increase in weight due to the extra muscle, but the aim is to look toned and have less body fat.

Re the post workout meal I think the protein shake will be great, but add some carbs – it is vital for recover, thus make it with some milk or eat an apple with the shake made with water. Your slice of bread with peanut butter is also fine!

Take care
Vanessa