Question
Posted by: Katie | 2010/01/19

Toning

Hello...I need a bit of advice about toning / excersise. I' m 28, 5" 2'  and weigh 55kgs with a bmi of 22. I' m trying to tone up and fight off my little belly as I' m getting married in 3 months. I can' t afford to join a gym (as I' m getting married) and dont have any excersise equipment.

I' ve started by doing 100 sit ups, crunches and stretches in the flat, as well as brisk 30 minute walks 4 times a week. Could you advise anything else I could be doing to make this better? I' ve also cut down on my calories and eating approx 1600 a day.

Thanks :)

HI Katie

No, you're on the right track, what you might do as you get fitter over the next few weeks is to increase the intensity of that walk, so that you spend the 30 minutes jogging, and mixing up the walk and jog. You'll burn more energy that way, and that's what counts.

The situps and crunches, yes, they'll help with the toning (you might want to do some pushups and some dips as well, for your arms, and some lunges and squats for the glutes and quads), but it's that cardio that is important. I'd gradually start to introduce running into it, maybe one minute run, one minute walk, then two and two and so on, until eventually you're doing five minute run, 1 minute walk, that kind of progression.

Good luck!

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010/01/25

HI Katie

Good luck!

Reply to fitnessdoc