Posted by: Kasandra | 2009-04-18

Hi There, thank you for all your great advise. I am happy with my BMI at the moment but feel that I am skinny but have very little muscle tone in my upper body and bum. At the moment I train monday, wednesday, friday 5 minutes cardio warm up the rest circuit training and resistant training in between with 3kg dumbells. The other two days I do cardio.... Is this correct will I tone and build some muslce with this routine... I am with curves and the circuit / weights are for toning.

I also feel my post work out meal is lacking. I have no appetite after gym in the mornings and usually only eat 2 crackers with peanut butter or slice of toast...Then by 11:00 I am starving. Do you think taking a scoop of whey with water straight after gym will help with recovery.

Thank you.

My aim is not to lose more weight but to tone and build some muscle (NOT BIG just firm)

HI Kasandra

I think you might benefit by increasing that weight a little. I'm not sure exactly what you're doing with those 3kg dumbbells, but if you can increase the weight, and do fewer sets or reps, it usually shifts the emphasis more towards building muscles. For example, you might be doing 15 reps with 3kg. Rather do 10 reps with 5kg, or even 8 reps with 6kg. You'd have to play around and see what happens with heavier weights, but the principle is important - more weight, fewer reps.

As for the post-training meal, I wouldn't force whey down. I think what you need to do is plan for that meal in the middle of the morning. If that means spending five minutes before preparing a meal that you can eat, a sandwich, some fruit, some crackers, yoghurt, etc. and then rather just eat that at 11 am.