Question
Posted by: MicR | 2010/01/20

Tongue ulcer - horse

I would like to find out how a tongue ulcer (horse) would be treated? Do I need to get a vet out or is there something I can apply to relieve discomfort and heal the ulcer? Thank you.

Dear MicR

I cant help you with this one, my horse knowlegde is not what it used to be.

5
Posted by: carrie | 2010/01/22

if the equine dentist is scheduled to visit then that should be fine. alternativley you could use a calendula tincture to rinse it off a few times a day. The calendula is a natural antiseptic and facilitates rapid healing. Try to get the tincture from a homeopath or health store and put about 20 drops in a glass of water and just swab the ulcer.

Reply to carrie
Posted by: Chill | 2010/01/21

Do a Google on: horse ulcer tongue.

Loads of info there!

Reply to Chill
Posted by: MicR | 2010/01/21

This is a new horse (my first). The ulcer is on the underside of his tongue. My instructor and yard owner is of the opinion that the ulcer was caused by one of his teeth and the equine dentist is scheduled to visit and check him over. He is definitely eating and is carefully monitored by the yard owner. He has steadily put on weight over the past 4 months after living out at his previous home and losing some condition.

Reply to MicR
Posted by: carrie | 2010/01/21

well if the ulcer is affecting his eating i suggest you call the vets out soonest as this could lead to other complications with the horse losing condition. how did he get this ulcer anyways, what did he do to get this ulcer? these usually arise from some break to the skin.I think he needs a vet.

Reply to carrie
Posted by: Cybervet | 2010/01/21

Dear MicR

Reply to Cybervet