Question
Posted by: Adele | 2010/09/03

Tomatoes

Morning doc,
Is it true that tomatoes keeps you regular? If so, how much should you eat for it to be effective?
Does animal proteien cause constipation?

May God bless you for your work.
Have a nice weekend.

Dear Adele
I have not heard that tomatoes as such promote regularity and I would question this because they do not have a high dietary fibre content. All foods that contain a lot of fibre like vegetables, citrus fruit, dried fruit, wholegrain bread, and cereals (like high-fibre bran breakfast cereal), crushed wheat, brown rice, unsifted maize meal and all legumes (dry cooked or canned peas, beans, lentils and soya) will help you stay regular. Try having some cooked dried fruit on high-fibre bran from breakfast to promote regularity. Meat, fish, eggs, milk and dairy products generally do not contain any dietary fibre so if your diet contains too much of these foods this could make you constipated. Click on 'Diet'nFood' at the top of this page and then on 'Food as Medicine' and then read the 'Healthy colon' section to also obtain information about the use of probiotics like Bifidoflora (buy at health shops).
Wishing you a lovely weekend

1

Dear Adele
Wishing you a lovely weekend