Question
Posted by: Mother | 2008/07/31

Tofranil

My 7 year (and 7 month) old daughter struggles with bedwetting. My paediatrician prescribed Tofranil as treatment. Only after reading up on the drug did I realise that it is an anti-depressant. Tofranil seems to be prescribed often for the treatment of enuresis. Although the drug is not prescribed for the purpose of an antidepressant, is there any dangers in giving her an antidepressant. Are there any side-effects or issues that we need to be aware of? Can this drug be stopped at any time or do you need to wean off it gradually?
My daughter also struggles a little with concentration but for the last 3 days since she has be taking the drug I' ve definitely noticed an improvement in her concentration. Is it possible that Tofranil can have an impact on her concentration?

Tofranil, though also one of the earliest available antidepressants, is quite popular in some quarters for treating bedwetting. NObody seems to consider there to be any significant dangers in using the drug in a young child, and its not usually needed long-term. As an antidepressant, it had the problem that ocasionally it made it hard for old men to pass urine, an effect that's very handy in helping a bedwetter to re-train their bladder to be less sensitive.
As for an impact on concentration, it could help if she was somewhat depressed, or more likely, as it would have some tranquillizing effects, too, it could help if she was somewhat stressed before

1
Posted by: marianne | 2008/07/31

Morning......my 30 year old son used Tofranil as a child, for a couple of years, and he has absolutely no side effects from it. I only recently found out that it was actually an anti depressant. I had to wean him off of them at the time........
In my opinion they work absolute miracles.........I used to get up to take him to the toilet about 4/5 times a night, and he would still wet the bed, and then I got Tofranil..............

Reply to marianne