Question
Posted by: hana | 2012-12-07

toenail fungus

i suffer from toenail fungus, about a year and a half ago my gp prescribed microcidal and it cleared up the fungus however two months after completing the course the fungus returned. i have changed all my socks to cotton and also apply foot powder to my feet to keep them dry as i have excessvely sweaty feet. what is the best way to keep the fungus from reocurring?

Expert ImagePodiatrist

Thank you for your question, nail fungus/ onychomycosis are caused by fungal organisms and the condition is highly contagious. It is spread via sharing of nail files, clippers buffers etc and sharing nail polish or keeping your nail polish on for too long. It is important to ensure that all equipment that is used on your nails are sterilised (not disinfected). A sweaty enviroment would also encourage fungal growth. I would suggest that you consult with a podiatrist that could assess your condition, prescribe a foot spray for the excessive sweating, a product that you could treat all your shoes with and possible topical nail treatment. For your nearest podiatrist 0861 100 249 www.podiatrist.co.za