Toenail Fungus

Dear Doc
My big toenail is hard and yellow. I did see a doc and she recommended that I use Vicks vapour rub every day and soak my feet in vinegar. This has not helped. What is the next step I should do ?

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Anonymous

It could be you have a condition called onychauxis which is thickening of the nail plate. This can be caused by a number of things including previous trauma to the nail. Treatment could be as simple as regular cutting and filing of the nail to keep it thin or complicated such as complete, permanent removal of the nail.
You could also have a fungal infection of the nail, these are not easy or quick to treat, for best results see a podiatrist who can advise you on exaqctly what the problem is and how best to treat it.

Posted by: Karien | 2009-08-05

I also had a fungus on my big toe nail. I filed it very thin and cut it as far as I could and from there on I rubbed Tea Tree oil in 2 x per day and it is gone.

Reply to Karien
Posted by: skye | 2009-07-20

My mother is 60 and both feet are swollen. There is fungul infection in the right middle toe. She is in pain as all the private doctors prescribed different ointments. The state hospital also did some test but couldnt find anything wrong. Doc at Medicross prescribed CARDIXEN and CLINDAHEXAL saturday past. She still have intense pain night time only but are fine during day. Any advise please

Reply to skye