Question
Posted by: BMJ | 2010/08/11

Toe nail ripped off

My 3y old dog ripped her toe nail off. I am not sure how it happened as it happened while I was not at home. The whole nail is off. It seems to be very tender and she is limping badly and seem to be in pain. I can understand that it must be very sore and what I need to know is what can I give her for pain and should we let this heal on it''s own or take her to the vet. She is very prescious to us.

Hi BMJ

If the nail is totally removed then apply a bandage to the foot to offer protection . Keep the bandage on for a week until the nail bed heals. It is not advisable to cut the kwick of the nail as this may result in the abnormal growth of the nail. You can get pain medication form the vets - Carprofen/Meloxicalm.

4
Posted by: BMJ | 2010/08/12

I did phone the vet and they said it is very painful, but is not an emergency - so it could wait till morning (happend early evening). Told me what to give her for pain and am taking her this morning for a consult.

I tend to panic easily and often think things are worse than they are - especially injuries. So I thought I would try and handle it calmer with a if it is not a breathing or bleeding problem what happens in the next 24 hours approach.

Thanks for input

Reply to BMJ
Posted by: GD Mom | 2010/08/12

I''m with Chill on this one - why take chances with your precious child - let the vet check it out and prescribe whatever may be necessary to make her comfortable.

Reply to GD Mom
Posted by: Cybervet | 2010/08/12

Hi BMJ

Reply to Cybervet
Posted by: Chill | 2010/08/11

My dogs are very prescious to me, and if one of them ripped off a nail and was limping badly and seemed to be in pain, I would get them to a vet within 30 minutes. Quite apart from the pain, if something happened with enough force to rip off a nail, the toe could well be broken, and only the vet would be able to tell this.

Reply to Chill