Question
Posted by: Worried Mum | 2009/11/19

todler stealing from creche

HI Doc
My 3 almost 4 year old is taking other kids possesions at creche. We are teaching her that it is wrong to take other kids stuff, but added to her taking things, lately she has been crying in the morning when she gets to creche....is my gut right in thinking that something is wrong at creche...or is it flaw in my parenting skills? When we ask her why she takes the stuff, she doesnt have a clear answer...or just doesnt answer....she is a very intellegent girl (a normal parental response I know) so it cant be that she doesnt understand...please help....I dont know what to do or think..

Guts are not always highly accurate, but usually worth paying some attention to. There's no reason to suspect a flaw in your skills, and reason to at least wonder whether there might be something broader that's not right with her at the creche. It's not about intelligence, but at this age if the answer would be complex, a child may bot have the capacity to explain it to an adult even if she wished to do so, and she might well not know the answer herself. This is one of the relatively few areas where play therapy, her drawings , and so on might help to understand what might be going on

2

Posted by: Woman | 2009/11/19

Trust your gut! Kids don' t just do things, they only do things to tell us something is wrong, when they can' t explain it. A play therapist can be particularly useful.

You, as her mother, is the person she trust implicitly to protect her from the world. It' s great you' re getting her message.

Reply to Woman