Question
Posted by: leigh | 2007/10/24

Q.

toddlers with post nasal drip

Hi Doctor!
I have a 2 and a 3 year old and both have what the clinic sister at the pharmacy says is a post nasal drip. It is really strange because during the day they seem absolutely fine and have no temp or any indication that they are sick but at night they cough the whole night through.(and also no temp) I gave them both betanoid and zetofen but have finished both bottles with no results. The sister at out pharmacy insists that it isnt in their chest but at night they sound awful. Last night my 2 year old coughed so much that she vomited but today she has been absolutely fine and hasnt coughed at all. We have never had anything like this before and i am not quite sure how to treat them?This has been like this for nearly three weeks.
I raise their beds at night by putting pillows under their mattresses.Even that doesnt seem to help. Please tell me what i should give them.
Are they allowed to swim. They have swimming lessons twice a week and they have missed the last two weeks lessons. Can they go or not and also can they go to the beach and play with friends or must they stay at home in bed.

Thanks for your help
Leigh

Expert's Reply

A.

Expert ImagePaediatrician

This does not sound like a post nasal drip at all but more like they both have whooping cough. Please do not give your children very strong cortisone medicines such as Betanoid which will do no good and only produce side effects. Actually no medicines really help for the cough of whooping cough, but you can try giving them each Aterax syruo which is a very safe antihistamine syrup 2.5ml at night for your 2 year old and 5ml at night for your 3 year old, speak to your pharmacist about this medicine. The cough can go on for 3 months in many cases but you will find that the Aterax syrup will help a lot.

2
user comments
Posted by: mom24 | 2008/03/12

What is betanoid syrup used for

Reply to mom24
Posted by: coco | 2007/10/26

what milk are they drinking?

Reply to coco

Want to comment?