Question
Posted by: Jules | 2010/10/13

Toddlers cough

Hi CyberDoc

My little boy of 2 and a half has had a bit of a cough with a very dry throat on and off for about 2 weeks now (it was only in the night up until now). It has seemed to have followed on from a cold that he had. Lately it has been going away quite nicely and he has been breathing and sleeping better, but over the past two days he has developed a bit of a chesty cough. I have been giving him a homeopathic cough mixture called Cetralin when the cough has been noticable, but it has now come to the point where I think that he needs to either see a doctor or to go onto another non herbal cough micture.

My question is, will a doctor just prescribe a cough mixture for him which I could just go and get at the pharmacy? I really don''t want to take him to the doctor for her to prescribe an over the counter medicine. Is there anything you could suggest to clear this up- or should he be seen by the Doc? Will a cough mixture eventually just clear the cough up, or just mask the symptoms?

Thanks very much
Rgds
Jules

Hallo Jules
He may have a bit of bronchitis now that may need antibiotics. Cough mixtures only loosens phlegm or suppresses irritation and does not heal an infection, so if you have been using Cetralin without improvement, he should probably see the doctor for a prescription.

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010/10/13

Hallo Jules