Question
Posted by: Debbie | 2011/02/07

Toddlers and calcium

HI there,
I am in the process of weaning my 20 month old off a bottle, and on to a sippy cup. My problem is that she refuses to drink her Nespray from a sippy cup - so I am not very concerened about her calcium intake. She used to drink 3 bottles a day. I give her yoghurt in the morning, a block of cheese at night, and try to give her foods high in calcium - but I still dont think she is getting the requried amount in.
Are there supplements one can give a toddler? I dont want to " overdose"  her by accident, but I feel I need to supplement her diet. Or should I just give in and let her go back to her bottles?

Dear Debbie
To answer your last question first I must point out that children should already be weaned off the bottle at the age of 20 months. So don't give in on this issue. Have you tried offering your lassie beverages like milk from a standard cup or mug? Do try to see if she would be prepared to drink from another container if she refuses to use a sippy cup. The fact that she is already having 2 servings of calcium-rich foods a day (the yoghurt in the morning and the square of cheese at night), means that all she needs is about 1 additional cup of milk per day. You can mix the milk into other foods like breakfast cereals, custards, pureed fruit or vegetables if she refuses to drink from a standard cup. I would be interested to know how she drinks other beverages like water and diluted fruit juice? It may also be the Nespray that she is refusing and not the cup? At this stage there is no need to use calcium supplements, but do persevere with the weaning.

1

Dear Debbie