Posted by: Worried mom | 2009-07-21

Toddler' s strange behaviour

Doc, our daughter is 3 and a half and our 2nd daughter is 2 months old. My eldest is starting to behave strangely now for eg. she wets her pants often now all of a sudden and when we take her to creche, she covers her head with her top' s hood or with a blanket and does not want to face anyone as she walks to her classroom. Only after a few minutes, she takes it off. People say that the pants wetting is due to " looking for attention" , but I know my little girl and she is definitely not looking for attention. She is very loving towards her new baby sister and has not shown ANY sign of jealousy at all.

Its usually not about jealousy, not consciously, at any rate, but i' well recognized that quite often an child o whatever age, shows age regression ( ie reverting to behaviours typical of a considerably younger age ) when a new baby arrives within the household. Kids sem to vary as to the age at which they are most vilnerable to this. Usually it passes before long. Sometimes it helps to emphasize her helpfulness in caring for / protecting the newcomer, and praise her for being older and more clever. Maybe mentioning how the baby hasn't yet learned how to not wet herself and stay dry, but SHE is usually able to do this, and getting better at it.
What do other parents think about this ?