Question
Posted by: B | 2008/07/14

toddler's cough

My almost 2 year old son woke up with a hard barking cough a 5 days ago out of the blue. He had no synmptoms when he went to bed. It almost sounded like 'croup' but when i took him to the dr later that day, he said its 'bronchial', has phlegm in his lungs and gave him antibiotics for 3 days, plus theophen brochilidator (speling) and expectorant cough medicine.
His cough improved a lot during the course of the week, I noticed that on the weekend when he would run around a lot, he would cough when he rested. I put it down to the phlegm loosening in his lungs. Last night, when he was going to bed, his breathing sounded bubbly or crackly (cant describe it any better). This i have been told could brochiolitis which can be bad for little ones. I ran the hot shower and sat with him in the steam for a while and the cough did improve later. I have not heard the crackling again.
He has not had a fever at all through all this, and been a happy camper.
What can i be doing for him? Should I take him back to the doctor?

Hi B
the crackling sound is caused by phlegm in the small airways. You did exactly the right thing by steaming him. Bronchiolitis causes a wheezing or whisteling sound. If this happens your doctor should have another look at him. If he looks fine, has no fever, does not complain of short breath, you can continue with expectorant. But keep him indoors if very cold outside and avoid too much activity.

1
Posted by: Cherne | 2009/03/06

Coudl any one please tell me what medicine to use when you toddler has flu, it is not so bad that i should take him to the dr, his nose is verry closed and he cough.

Please help me

Reply to Cherne