Question
Posted by: Elke | 2008/09/25

Toddler won' t eat

hi, my son is 18 months old and eats only pureed fruit and porridge, anything else is spat out. he won' t eat fresh fruit or cooked veges, he never has. i want to stop breastfeeding but am worried he won' t get enough from food, as he doesn' t like much. he used to love avocado and all of a sudden won' t eat that now. how can i get him to eat a better variety of food?

Dear Elke
It can be very frustrating to teach an infant to eat a variety of foods, but the advice from paediatric nutrition experts is to offer the child a small helping of a given food (1 teaspoon) and if it is refused, to offer it again at the next meal, the next day, etc. Eventually the child will try the new food. I know this takes time and patience but this is still the best way of introducing new foods and textures to infants. Click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then do a Search for the 2 articles I wrote earlier this year on: "WEANING FOODS INFLUENCE THE REST OF YOUR CHILD’S LIFE" and "WHAT WEANING FOODS TO GIVE BABY". Also click on 'Child' at the top of the page and then on 'Nutrition' and read the articles on 'Diets for Toddlers'. At the age of 18 months your son should be able to drink milk from a cup and eat foods with texture, so it may be a good idea to stop breastfeeding to encourage him to start eating and drinking in a more grownup way.
Hang in there

2
Posted by: Anonymous | 2009/05/12

My son is 11 months old. for about 3 weeks now, his body goes in shivers, not necessarily that he is getting cold, but his had will shake as if someone is nervous. His appetite is also down, according to me, he looks too thin...he loves drinks juice and milk, but when it comes to food, he doesn' t enjoy it...he is on bio-strath. He has now developed a wheezy cheest and runny nose...coughing

Posted by: Another Mom | 2008/09/28

I know this won' t help solve the dilemma, but YOU ARE NOT ALONE. Ask your Mom - it' ll probably transpire that you didn' t eat much, and were fussy, too! Toddlers seem to exist on air, but, hey, they have boundless energy and we all grow up OK, don' t we! Every mother I have ever known complains of this.

Sterkte

Reply to Another Mom