Question
Posted by: Alida le Roux | 2011/03/16

toddler waking up 5-6 times during night

My toddler is 1 y 8 mths old, she refused to sleep in a cott, so I moved her to a bed in her room over a month ago. Unfortunatley, whenever she wakes up, she gets off the bed and walks to our room, asking for a sip of water, then she is ok to go back to sleep, BUT I have to stay with her. She takes a long time (1 hour or more) to settle down, and when I finally go back to my own bed, its 10 min before she comes back to our room! This happens 5-6 times per night! How can I get her to stay in her bed? I do not mind getting up once per night to give her a sip of water, but she cannot get to sleep on her own!

Expert ImageSleep Expert

Take her firmly by the hand, tell her that it is not OK to wake you at night for that, and put her back to bed. Then leave her. In about 20 seconds she will be up again. This time you take her back, but without saying anything. And so on, until she gets the message. You are not punishing her, but you should also not be rewarding her - when you stay with her you are rewarding her for getting up. Once she actually goes back to sleep fairly quickly, you might want to reward her - the next day, with more than usual attention - for having done so. Make it more worth her while to go back to bed than to wake you. At the moment she has nothing to lose and everything to gain by this behaviour.

2
Posted by: charlene | 2011/03/31

goeie dag my dogertjie van 21 maande raak nou al die afgelope 3 weke elke nag 1:30 wakker en wil dan nie meer in haar bedjie slaap nie, tensy sy by ons in die bed kan kom slaap of ek / my man by haar in haar kamer op die bed aan die slaap raak. Ek is raadop, want sodra sy net lekker aan die slaap is en ek besluit om op te staan om in my bed te gaan slaap is sy weer wakker ek skreeu so baie erg. Ek het al slaap terapie ook probeer maar niks help nie. Asseblief help. Ek is opmoeg en lyk elke dag soos ''n zombie by die werk hier teen 12 uur in die dag.

Wat kan ek doen om haar deur te laat slaap en dat sy in haar eie bed bly.

groete
charlene

Reply to charlene
Posted by: Sleep expert | 2011/03/17

Reply to Sleep expert