Posted by: Melanie | 2009-06-22

Toddler Sleeping Problem PLEASE help.

Ok.. I’ m one very tired mommy... L is 2 years 2 months. When we adopted him he was around 6 weeks. He was a very sick little one constantly on medicine for his lungs since he was 6 weeks old. Grommets when he was under a year, tonsillitis operation when he was 20 months, he’ s got iron deficiency, he is using a supplement for that–  he must now use Singularair for his lungs. His birth mother binds her tummy to stop showing, he was 2.4kg and 48cm –  home birth so we don’ t know if it was full term. So he cries a lot… ... Liam constantly wants to be held, touch etc, he will not go to sleep if he don’ t have his blanket.

We have a bedtime routine the same time every night. L goes to bed no problem. He goes to sleep without any aid but within an hour he is awake.

When I then try to use the sleepsense routine he gets VERY upset so that he starts coughing and then he starts throwing up. So I have learned from experience to pick him up before he throw up. But lately I cannot put him down  he gets hysterical and shouts the whole time for me. When I put him to be he will lie close to me touching my arm or face the whole time muttering mamma mamma, when I get up just to go to the bath room he screams bloody murder! Then he will sit with me or lie on my chest for more than an hour i cannot put him down before he is sleeping again otherwise he gets upset an throw up.. One vicious circle... sometimes he will be awake 4 of 5 times other nights only 1... In the past 2 weeks he only slept right thru once.

I’ m getting at that stage where I just want time out… 

We did the sleep sense thing with our other child- when he was 8 months and it works like a charm he is now 3 years 6 months NO problem.

The sleep sense did not work AT all for L. Our clinic sister gave us some advice but it also did not work. I give him rescue remedy drops about 2 yours before bedtime every halfour..

So I’ m thinking now he is clearly stressing about some issues... in Afrikaans it is, verwerpingssindroom or it could be skeidingsangs..

Do I need to contact the adoption agency and ask to speak about this to the social worker? I’ m really not to sure what to do here.. But there is one huge problem sitting in front of me and I’ m not sure how to deal with it…  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
thx in advance...

Expert ImageSleep Expert

Separation anxiety is certainly possible at this age. I would suggest you get your pediatrician to check him out thoroughly - make sure there is nothing that is being overlooked. It sounds as though he has found a wonderful way to get and keep your attention!

If he is well physically, then ask your pediatrician for help in getting him to sleep on his own. Techniques which work for one child often do not work for another - which is why there are different ways of dealing with these problems. Your pediatrician will advise you if you need to get the help of a child psychologist - they sometimes also have a number of ways to get over problems like this.