Posted by: worried | 2011-10-04

Toddler sick after tonsil removal

Hi Doc,

My daughter had her tonsils and adenoids removed on Thursday (so about 5 days ago). She actually did really well, just struggled to get the fever broken for the first few days.

The problem is that since Saturday it sounds like she is getting Bronchitis, her cough is really bad (in the lungs)! And her nose is running constantly.

Is this normal?

She is also on Augmentim after the op.

Thank you!

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Worried

Day 5 post tonsillectomy is usually the worst day in the recovery period, as the pain could get worse before the patient gets any better. It is however not normal to run a fever, or have a cough, so I suggest you contact your
ENT surgeon immediately. He/she will advise you on the way forward, perhaps the opinion of a paediatrician may be of value. Do not ignore these symptoms, as an undiagnosed problem may cause problems, such as bleeding from the wound area.