Posted by: Jenna | 2009-09-04

Toddler scared because of closed door

Dear Cybershrink,

Thank you for a great forum. I need your help.

On Tuesday we moved house. During the move, my 15 and a half month old daughter was playing in her new room with some toys. All the windows in the house were open because it was so hot and without me and my husband noticing, the wind blew the door of her room closed. When we heard her crying, she must have been closed up in the room for no longer than a minute, because we were constantly moving around the house. She was hysterical when I got to her. Eversince, I cannot let her sleep in her room with the door closed. She has - since birthy - always slept in a room with the door closed. The reason why I need her to be able to sleep with a closed door is because I work from home, so I need her door to be closed just as my study door is closed so that the noise doesn' t wake her. The same goes for at night, because I work again after she goes to sleep and also my husband goes to work quite early, so her door needs to be closed so that his getting up and getting ready for work doesn' t wake her. Where she usually woke up with a smile, chatting and laughing, she now wakes up crying because she sees that the door is closed. How do I help my child get over this? It breaks my heart to see her like this. Can something be done to help her get over this fear? Please help me.

Thank you, Jenna

Maybe she'd be much les likely to be disturbed by any noises than you are assuming ? This fear is likely to be temporary ; let her have the door open for a while, then try it ajar, and later maybe try closure. Maybe at first sitting with her, but with the door closed on both of you.
B gives a perfect answer

Posted by: B | 2009-09-04

Jenna, why dont you leave the door open while she falls asleep and gently close it once she is asleep. When you have finished your work, before you go to bed, you just open it a tad again.

Reply to B