Question
Posted by: Cath | 2010/07/02

toddler plays with poo

My son, 3yrs in August, will not stop smearing his poo all over his hands, &  sometimes his shirt. He is dyspraxic and has an older brother of 5 1/2 yrs. I have tried to ignore, tried washing him with cold water, tried smacking &  shouting - nothing is working! I find it repulsive and its driving me dilly. What am I to do? This happens up to 5 times a day!

It can be a( mercifully brief ) phase in some kids, but if this persists it is more likely to be a sign of a kid who is significantly disturbed for some reason, and who would bemnefit from seeing a shild shrink for a more detailed assessment. Meanwhile, though he may need your help, make him take the responsibility for washing himself and his clothes whenever he soils in this way. And think carefully over whether there is anything going on currently which could be upsetting him more than has been realized so far

2

Posted by: woman | 2010/07/02

some toddlers do that - just be patient with him! it used to drive me nuts but now it''s over and done with!

Reply to woman