Posted by: Carol | 2009-01-19

Toddler not eating properly

My 3½  year son does not seem to be eating properly. He does not eat breakfast at home in the mornings and when he gets to school he does not eat breakfast either. The snack lunch I pack for him comes home untouched most of the time. This will vary from bread, yoghurt, like it lean viennas, noodles, tuck biscuits, chicken, ham, cheese wedges,and I always put fruit, grapes, bananas, apples. Do you have any suggestions? Also last year at the doctor she mentioned that his iron level was slightly low.

Dear Carol
From what you say, it may be a good idea to have your son's iron levels checked because if he does suffer from iron-deficiency anaemia then this would suppress his appetite. There are many factors that can influence a toddler's eating habits and refusal to eat can be a symptom of underlying stress. If this pattern of refusing to eat has developed since he started school then it is advisable to consult a child psychologist because he may feel stressed or anxious or depressed because of starting school and his refusal to eat may be "a cry for help". The foods you include in his tuckbox are more than adequate and he should be enjoying his lunches, so there is either a physical (low iron levels) or a psychological problem.
I do hope you can get to the bottom of this problem.

Posted by: Mother too | 2009-01-19

The school are suppose to see to it that he eat his lunch! Maybe have a chat with them and see if they could help. I also have a 4 year old who do not eat at home, but at school he eat with the other children and even eat his veggies. I give him Clusivol vitamens , it contains iron. He don' t like meat and only eat Chicken.

Reply to Mother too